Printing on plastic materials like Plastic Cards or plastic chains is a technology that’s been around for decades. But it has been recently seen an increase in use due to the rising need for customized corporate promotional products. This practice typically involves printing images onto various sheets of flexible films, which are then cut into different sizes and shapes. These are then transferred onto the desired items using heat or suction. In this article, you will get to know about plastic printing.
Ways you can print on Plastic Materials
If you need to print on plastic, you’ll want to make sure that the plastic is “thermal transfer” or “thermochromic.” The type of printer doesn’t matter, but it does need to be capable of printing in colour. The most important step in the process is heating up the printer. It needs to reach at least 180 degrees Fahrenheit so that it can dry or cure the ink fast enough for it not to be smeared when touched. Be sure not to leave any books or other objects on top of the thermal transfer surface because they will block heat from radiating out properly and may cause damage when heated up. The following are the ways you can print on plastic
- Digital Ink Jet Printing: Minimal infrastructure is required for digital inkjet printing. It is suitable for small businesses or small printing houses. The ink of inkjet printing can give high-quality prints on plastics. Along with the high-quality prints, you get full-colour coverage. The inks are expensive thus it is not cost-efficient in long run. Printed ink gets evaporated with time. It makes digital inkjet printing sustainable on plastics.
- Pad printing: Pad printing is great for printing on plastic balls, rulers and bottles. In this case, a two-dimensional print gets transferred to a three-dimensional object easily. On a silicon plate, the image is engraved then ink is flooded to the image. It clings to the pad for printing. The desired image is then pressed on the three-dimensional object.
- Flexo printing: This printing method on plastic things is quick and cost-efficient. You can print on thin plastic sheets like vinyl rolls and/or thin plastic materials. It is also suitable for printing on metallic substances. Unlike digital inkjet printing, it is not used for high-quality images. In the process, a flexible relief plate is used.
Advantages of plastic printing
- When you visit a restaurant or hotel, you will often find a menu made with a plastic material Polypro. Printing a plastic material ensures that the object lasts long. Polyprop menu cards do not get torn like paper.
- Unlike the printers that you use in your houses or for office works, white ink can be produced in plastic printing. The white ink can not be produced in your day to day document printers.
- After the printing is finished on the plastic object, a foam-based substance is lacquered over it. It makes the object look shiny, polished and professional.
- An environmentalist might point out the overuse of plastic materials in plastic printing. However, this is not the case. Manufacturers recycle plastic to make new products. The recycled objects are transferred to get printed on the surface.
The printing companies make durable printed materials of plastic and also progress on recycling the products. Through many printing methods, plastic things like bottles and keychains are getting printed with high-quality images. You also get to use white ink on plastic materials. Need not to say that plastic materials are more durable than paper.