Google Alerts is always the first attempt for small and medium-scale marketers when it comes to online reputation management. The primary reason that drives them towards this tool is its cost. Users do not have to spend a single buck to access this web monitoring tool. Instead, they can leverage the benefits and its effectiveness.
Experts from a reputed online reputation management company have also agreed that it is simple to set up a reputation online with Google Alerts. The tool is quite efficient in offering the advanced features, pampering the users to choose this over other alternatives.
So, you are basically leveraging the effectiveness of the monitoring tool. But is it so? In many cases, it is proved that despite the benefits of Google Alerts, marketers fail to derive their success. This is because of some common mistakes they make in the process.
Check out the 5 ways following which you can improve the efficiency of Google Alerts and enjoy visible results in no time.
5 Ways to improve the effectiveness of Google Alerts
- Use unique keywords: Do you tend to use common keywords? Perhaps, you feel common keywords generate more alerts and create more engagement. But friends, this is the biggest mistake that you usually make.
With common keywords, your mail might be flooded with notifications, but these are also responsible for reducing the chance of turning your brand unique. So, avoid generic keywords and target keywords that are one-of-a-kind. Being precise and specific with your keywords, you can get a few but effective alerts. At least they will be relevant to your brand and target.
- Prefer long-tail keywords: Short and crispy keywords often fail to carry the business goal and target. Suppose, your business is all about dress materials for teenagers. And you set keywords like dress materials, teenagers. Do you think this will be relevant to your brand?
To avoid targeting the irrelevant audience, combine or use long-tail keywords that define your brand at a glance. You can simply create keywords like dress materials for teenagers to drive the right audience to your doorstep and create relevant alerts.
Long-tail keywords are often better than short-tail keywords in terms of efficiency. So, you must stick to this instead of looking for the authentic alerts amongst the thousands of irrelevant notifications.
- Select the right frequency: Google allows us to set a maximum of 1000 alerts for every user. Then you don’t you take that leverage? Instead of waiting for one or two alerts, increase the frequency level, and create the most you can.
Higher the frequency level more will be the alerts. Well, this also leads to a higher number of email notifications that you may not like at the initial stage. But these dozens of mails will only be the reason for your business health.
Remember, the more the number of alerts, the easier will be to create monthly or weekly reports. Don’t you want to improve your brand image? Never forget to choose the right alert frequency.
- Use filters for better accuracy: Google Alerts is featured with multiple filter options. You can use these options to filter out the most relevant alerts. It is the best way to be perfect with what you are receiving as your notifications.
Many times, the emails generated are of no use. Even if the keywords are right, the emails received have no importance. To avoid such cases, filter your alerts by location, languages, content, interests, and so on. Narrow down your search and create more specific alerts.
- Don’t miss out on setting your goals: Finally, the thing you should not avoid is setting your business goals. What exactly you want to achieve by setting alerts on Google? Ask yourself and understand your need or purpose for using Google Alerts.
Plenty of reasons or goals can be behind this. For example, you want to calculate the number of mentions, you want to check out the negative reviews, you want to get customer insights, or maybe you want to explore your competitors’ activity.
No matter what your primary purpose is, ensure first before you start using the Google web monitoring tool.
How To Set Up Google Alerts?
It is easy to set up alerts using Google Alerts. Just open Google using your Gmail account. Type the keywords that you have used for your brand, select the frequency level, select the sources from which you want the instant notifications, choose your language, location, and hit the alert button.
Yippie! You are ready to get instant alerts whenever there are any new reviews, comments, or mentions added to the web or social platforms.
For better results, seek support from a well-noted online reputation repair agency and hire the experts.