Are you an FC Barcelona fan who enjoys witnessing the team play some really fluid football and Martin Braithwaite scoring some world-class goals? Well, if this was the 1900s, you would be out of luck since large-scale broadcasting of sports content was still some way off. The only method available back then to anyone who wanted to watch sports was to actually visit a stadium and watch the game.
Well, not anymore. Nowadays, there are numerous ways in which one can consume sporting content. Newspapers, television, online live scores, radios, etc. each telecast sporting content. Now, let us look into each medium in detail and explore its various advantages.
- Newspapers- They are one of the most common forms of mass media which are low cost and high density. Although technology has progressed a lot which has made the essentiality of newspapers almost non-existent, it is still extremely widely read and circulated. The newspaper agencies hire reporters and photographers to physically visit the relevant games and report on what they actually witness and experience. In some cases, newspapers purchase content from major media houses like Reuters, Associated Press, etc. Newspapers are arguably the pioneers of mass media who brought sports to the masses. The main sources of revenue for the newspapers are advertisement revenue and customer purchase payments. There are a lot of newspapers that are entirely dedicated to sports but these can be considered niche products after all.
- Magazines- Magazines can be treated as more comprehensive and targeted newspapers. Dedicated sports magazines have existed in most countries for a very long period and they enjoy a huge customer base. One of the biggest drawbacks of newspapers and magazines is the fact that they are unable to deliver live or real-time match updates, as they are happening on the pitch. The main sources of revenue that any magazine enjoys are advertisement revenue, paid content, sponsorships, and retail earnings.
- Radio- One of the first forms of mass media that brought live sporting experience to the masses was commercial radio. Radios are still common in rural areas and are extremely economical to operate since they do not need any subscriptions. Radios work on the principles of radio waves and can be used even in the remotest of areas. The drawback of radios is the fact that they cannot be used for viewing the sporting event live and the broadcast can only be heard. The primary source of revenue for the radio channel companies is from the advertisements and promotional campaigns they run.
- Television- One of the largest and most expansive networks of sports broadcasting can be found on Television. This modern marvel was invented by John Logie Baird and was the first device to provide an audio-visual experience to the consumer. For the first time in history, people could witness sports events live from the comfort of their homes. Although the quality of the streaming in the initial days was quite sketchy, it has improved greatly over time and nowadays, spectators can consume sporting content in 4K. The revenue model for televisions is segregated in the way that the company making the television sets is different from the ones providing the broadcast services. TV sets suffer from the limitation that they are not quite portable, and it is not possible for someone who is on the move to check the euro football live scores, or a live tennis match score.
- Social media- With the advent of social media, consumption of sporting content has reached a whole other dimension. Now, one can not only consume any sports they want at any time of the day from anywhere but also share what they feel about the said games. They have the freedom of widespread reach and accessibility and are pretty economical as well. Users just need access to any connected device and a working internet connection to view sporting content on social media.
- Live match reporting platforms- With the advent of the internet, the market demand for live sports reporting is on the rise. Now, anyone can look up the live tennis match score or the euro football live scores from wherever they are. This is extremely helpful since it lets people with busy schedules consume the sporting content of their choice without having to turn on the TV or wait for the next day’s newspaper to show up on their doorstep. One more benefit of these services is the fact that they are extremely economical, one just needs an active internet service to access these platforms.
- Online streaming- Lastly, one of the most convenient ways of consuming live sporting content is by virtue of the online streaming platforms and services. They can be understood as televisions that operate from our smart devices rather than a television set.
The industry of sports content distribution and consumption has changed considerably as time has passed. The technology behind this remains highly dynamic and strives to give spectators the most realistic experience possible.